Thursday, May 14, 2009

Beadwork Meetup (or what Harvey affectionately calls "Bead-a-rama")

I hostessed a Beadwork Meetup at my home a couple weeks ago, and although the turnout was rather small, we had a really good time. (It also spurred me to get my house cleaned from top to bottom.)

People brought appetizers and desserts and I pulled out my mom's antique glass dishes for coffee and tea. I set up a long table in the family room and brought a few Ott lamps for good lighting, even though it was pretty sunny outside. Two of us were working with tiny seed beads, so the extra light was useful.

Of all of the people who RSVP'd, only three (plus me) attended. That was okay, though, as we had interesting conversations and got to know each other so much better this way.

Doreen blew me away with her exquisite beaded teapots that she brought along to show. She had seen the basic instructions (by Diane Fitzgerald) in a bead magazine and then went on to create them with decorations of her own design instead of just plain. The ones on the left side of the picture have a blue and gold geometric design, and the center and right ones have florals.















Doreen's Beaded Teapots and Wedding Cake

Oh, and she made up her own patterns for the teacups, saucers, creamers and sugar bowls, too! The teapots and sugar bowls have removeable lids and are just the cutest things you have ever seen.

She also made a beaded wedding cake (center of photo with the purple edges) that is three tiers, AND opens up on top (not sure why but it is cute). I think she said she was planning to enter it in the Fair this year.

Michelle worked on, and finished, a necklace that had Swarovsky crystal beaded beads. She showed me how to make them (better practice it soon or I will forget) and they seem pretty easy.

Teresa made a necklace also, and we had fun giving each other advice on our projects. Doreen started a Russian lace (beaded) bracelet from a pattern she downloaded from Bead and Button's Beading Daily site (I think that's where she got it). Pretty, but complicated.

I started a spiral twist necklace in black seed beads and bugle beads. I finished it a few nights later and have worn it twice already.

I had such a good time with these ladies that I am definitely going to do it again. They all posted nice comments on the Meetup website after they got home, so hopefully other beaders will read what a good time it was and will want to come next time. Oh, and they loved my studio. :-)

Doreen, Teresa and Michelle



No comments:

Post a Comment